View Single Post
Old April 13, 2000, 05:34 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

If you are getting this gun for hunting then I would suggest either a longer barrel or going with the lighter bullets.

The lighter bullets I would recommend would be the 170 gr. Sierra JHC,the Speer 180 gr. Uni-Cor HP.

If you are wanting to go with something heavier then I would stay with the 200 - 220 range. Several great bullets in this range.
The biggest problem you are going to run into is with the shorter barrel you will be getting a large muzzle flash when useing the slower powders and heavier bullets. Also the recoil will scooch on up there real quick.

Remington quit making what I had considered the best 170 gr. bullet made for this caliber. It was a JHP and it did a great job expanding and holding together. The Noslers I have shot are about the closest I have found to the same expansion but sometimes they shed the core. The Uni-Cor is really made for the 41AE but it works well enough and is a great bullet for hunting. It has the same type of jacket as their godl dot and will not seperate. It is a bit tough for lower velocity expansion however.

For cast bullets check out Oregon Trail. I have been shooting their 215 gr. in my Redhawk and have gotten great groups and high velocities with no sign of leading.

There are several good choices for this caliber but unfortunately they seem to be getting smaller and smaller. If you get this gun and are loading for it find a good load and stock up on the bullets and brass. It seems to drop another notch every year.

Good luck and enjoy.

Page generated in 0.03485 seconds with 8 queries