View Single Post
Old July 4, 2013, 10:40 PM   #14
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
Given that you live near a state border, I don't blame you for asking for ID. However, as to your comment about being sure you follow the law, the law does not require you to ask for or verify ID. The law says you may not sell to someone you know or reasonably believe is prohibited. Nothing in the law tells us what the basis for that knowledge or belief has to be.
After reviewing the US Code, you are right, I don't HAVE to verify their state of residence.

That said, I almost put NOT checking residency in the same catagory as the Ms. Magazine blog post about Heidi Yewman getting a firearm, and doing the absolute minimum legally required to carry it. She has been blasted (rightly so, I might add) for bringing a weapon into her home with no understanding of it, and has refused to seek any out (except for a LEO during a traffic stop).

I guess, for me, I would rather verify the information that is easily accessible (age and residency) than simply rely on a gut instinct. If that costs me a sale/purchase of a firearm, then I guess I will be ok with that.

Page generated in 0.03383 seconds with 8 queries