View Single Post
Old February 11, 2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

For the LE folks on the panel: If you can (you may bnot be allowed), ask them what their response times are from the time a 911 call comes in to police on-scene. Then ask them how much damage a determined attacker can do in that same time frame. Something like: ("So, 4.5 minutes, on the average? And that's from the time that the caller actually gets 911 on the line? How much damage can a determined attacker do in 4.5 minutes? Could someone die in that time? Have you ever had any violent attacks in which the victim never had a chance to call 911? . . . ") If you cannot ask those questions, that's OK. Give the crowd a hypothetical, say, 2-minute response time. Tell them to imagine that someone has kicked in their door, and is coming in, crowbar in hand. Imagine how much damage a grown man with a crowbar can do in 2 minutes.

As for "only LE should have assault weapons:" Why? Is it because the .223 is a low-recoil, accurate round? Isn't that what would make it ideal for a 100-lb woman? Talk about the fact that these "assault weapons" are actually just one-pull-one-bullet machines, not full auto. Revolvers are one-pull-one-bullet, too.

Concealed carry: Why should it be harder to get a CC permit? Has there been a rash of crimes committed by CCL holders? Are they not being screened properly?

Some folks will almost certainly argue for a world without guns. Here's an article entitled "A world without guns" on gunnut.org: http://gunnuts.net/2013/01/04/a-world-without-guns/ This author makes the point that nobody would really want a world without guns. What they want is a world without violence. That is perfectly understandable. A world without guns, though, is a world in which the weak are always at the mercy of the strong.

Finally, resisting tyranny: What any one individual shooter needs is a separate issue from what rights a society needs for the individual to have. I, for example, have never "needed" to assert my rights under the Fourth, Fifth, and Eighth Amendments (unreasonable search and seizure, self-incrimination, and cruel & unusual punishment, respectively). That does not in any way diminish the need that our society has in individuals retaining those rights.

Page generated in 0.03228 seconds with 8 queries