View Single Post
Old August 19, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1
overthere

Parallax on Nikon BDC scope

I just started reloading for 223 and I have worked up loads that are working well at 100 yards (~ 1 MOA).

I took my Savage 11 trophy hunter XP bolt action to the 300 yard range today and I was having lots of issues getting consistency in my placements, some of it probably related to my shooting skills but I also noticed a lot of parallax in the Nikon 3-9X BDC scope I have on the Savage.

Is this a common occurrence at 300 yards? How similar / different is the 'shooting experience' between 100 and 300 yards? Is parallax just one of the things to expect to deal with?

I had (somewhat naively perhaps) thought that going from 100 to 300 was going to be primarily an exercise in adjusting for bullet drop, assuming no noticeable cross winds etc., but the parallax was just brutal. By just moving my head slightly the crosshairs would cover a good 6 - 8 inches of space on the target.

I'm trying to get a better handle on what to expect going from 100 to 300 yards. Do I need to become more consistent in lining up the shots (thereby compensating for the parallax) or should I get a scope that deals better with parallax going from 100 to 300?

Page generated in 0.03840 seconds with 8 queries