View Single Post
Old August 28, 2006, 02:33 AM   #15
Lurper

Quote:
For some folks, with some guns, the thumbs-foreward grip works fine. Enos, Leatham etc. shoot the way they do, and they're great shots. They also don't have drunks trying to wrestle the gun away, or kick it out of their hands, and they're not going to have to hold the gun in one hand and fight with the other. They aren't shooting "Plus P" JHP defense loads. Often these folks are shooting tricked-out guns, and getting boxcars of free ammo to shoot while perfecting their individual technique.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one inv. I'm not saying it is the right way, I am saying it is the best way. There is a difference. If someone has problems with that style grip, it is because they weren't taught properly. Obviously they are putting pressure on the slide stop which is not correct. I can't address tactics a whole lot, but one thing I can address are the mechanics of shooting. Leatham, Enos, Jarret are all highly skilled, I have shot with them for years. They (we) can perform the same with full power ammo in stock guns. I might also point out that IPSC ammo has a power factor which requires full power ammo.

Here's a link to a video of a couple of drills with a stock borrowed Kimber with full power loads.
http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...mberdrills.flv

Also, Rob, Todd and myself regularly compete with single stack 1911's. There are very few modifications allowed in that class. My point is that these guys are the best when it comes to pure shooting technique. Many L.E. agencies and several SPECOPS units have used them as consultants. One thing we can teach anyone to do is get lead on the target faster. Sometimes that in itself is a live saving skill.

I appreciate your thanks, just doing what I thought I should. I also appreciate your point of view. However, I am a passionate believer in what I do and will believe in it until I die. I was taught to shoot Weaver by Ray Chapman back in the 80's. Then I started competing and was converted. The best thing about this technique is that it works for everyone. I have taught it for many years to many people (Civilians, L.E. and Military) and have yet to find someone it doesn't work for. It removes many of the preconceived notions of other styles - like the idea you can control recoil with pure strength. It works standing, sitting, kneeling, moving, seated, even prone. It enable shooters to get lead on the target faster, fire faster follow-up shots and transition to multiple targets faster.

Too many people want to make a distinction between "Gamesmen" and "Martial Artists". I think that is folly. Both can learn from each other. But when it comes to pure shooting skills, these guys are the best.

Page generated in 0.02845 seconds with 8 queries