View Single Post
Old January 22, 2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Relod'n

Prairie Dogs in SD

Hello,
New to this forum. From New Hampshire. Participate in a few others, non hunting related. Experienced hunter/Fly Fisherman in my late 40's. Hunt for PD's in ND most every year with my 45 YO Brother in Law and Retired Father in law. Load our own, no alcohol during the hunt. Respectful of, and thankful for landowners.

Prefer to shoot at 350 yards plus. We are invited back to private land in near Fort Yates ND year after year. Have hunted Game in Montana as well. Typically shoot in towns that we can walk into, carrying our gear and moving around it for a half day, then packing up and moving to another. This year we want to take our sons (age 15) PD hunting. First PD hunt for both of them. It will be a late season hunt in mid July by dog standards, but that is when the schedules this year allow. My son hunts upland game with me now. It will be a family trip. My Wife and younger kids will stay in Deadwood. After 3 or 4 days hunting we will join the family and vacation throughout the west.

According to this map there seems to be a decent population along highway 34 between Sturgis and Union Center, mostly just a bit East of Volunteer. Does anyone know this area? Are there any willing landowners there? Do not need to hire a guide. Not interested in killing a thousand dogs a day. Just looking for permission. If we cannot hunt there we will move further south to Tribal Lands.

Any and all advice welcome. If anyone fishes in New England, I’d be happy to make recommendations.

Last edited by Relod'n; January 22, 2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added email notification...

Page generated in 0.03136 seconds with 8 queries