View Single Post
Old August 15, 2001, 09:30 PM   #1
markmcj

Goverment Chamber

I recently traded for a Rem 700 with a Douglas Heavy Barrel. The Rifle is chambered in .223 Goverment. Says that right next to the air guage markings on the Douglas barrel. The rifle also has a Leuplod fixed 16x 50mm AO scope. The guy who had it before me, I figured really likes to shoot varmits. My reason for the trade also.
So I want to reload for this rifle, but I figured that the previous owner wanted to have the Nato chamber to allow for expansion
of commercial brass, neck size only an add another grain or so of powder to the capacity of the case.
So I head to the shop were I traded for this rifle and pick up my dies and the owner of the shop tells me he has some ammo for my rifle that the previous owner had reloaded. I check out the reloads and the brass has Nato head stamps(cross in a circle), thicker brass less powder capacity, right? So now I'm wondering why the Nato chamber?
The only thing I can figure is that the Nato brass will allow for more reloads, thicker brass equals more reloads per case, right?
Also if I use commercial brass in a Nato spec. chamber, will I run the risk of premature case head seperation ? Markmcj

Page generated in 0.02396 seconds with 8 queries