View Single Post
Old April 16, 2013, 08:51 AM   #17
22-rimfire

This...

Quote:
Long range handgunning capability is going to be determined more by the shooters skill than the gun's capability to send rounds out that far. I would want a long barrel, the longer the better in most cases.
It takes practice. I don't think you can shoot a big bore twice a year and expect to make a predictable shot/hit at 200 yds on a whitetail or a milk jug. The practice part is crucial and that is the expensive part which keeps handgun hunting or shooting mostly within practical ranges (under 100 yds). 100 yds is no close shot with a handgun, but the bullet will travel that far and much more.

As far as choice goes.... I would tend to think in terms of the high velocity handgun rounds for long distance (>150 yds) shooting or hunting. Those would generally be the 460 S&W and 454 Casull for the common man. The 460 has appeal, but I have gone with the 480/475 for my big big bore shooting from a handgun.

I would choose something with a "4" in the number and skip the toys unless you're just having fun.

A TC Contender makes a lot of sense. You don't need rapid fire capability, you need predictable precision. That's the hard part.

There are a lot of Elmer Keith wanna-be's these days. I guess I'm one of them.

If I still lived where wood chuck hunting was practical as a common activity, I would own a Customized Remington XP-100 and would be having just loads of fun all summer long.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; April 16, 2013 at 08:59 AM.

Page generated in 0.02720 seconds with 8 queries