View Single Post
Old March 5, 2013, 06:03 AM   #16
1911Tuner

FLGR

Quote:
None of my FLGR guns require a tool.
None of your pistols have a true FLGR. They have the compromise FLGR that will allow the bushing to clear the end of the rod. The real ones are flush with the face of the plug and require removal before the bushing can move.

IMO, having to carry tools around in order to field-strip my pistol...allen and bushing wrench...just doesn't sit well with me. I like being able to field-strip and reassemble in 8-10 seconds and 12-15 seconds respectively...the way that JMB and the US Army truly intended.

During the trials, there were several officers on the board who didn't like the Colt, stating that it was too big and too heavy, despite its having just trounced the Savage in the accuracy and reliability phase. When it came time to demonstrate the ease of service in the field portion, the Savage rep unrolled his tool set and started. Browning stepped up to the table and had the Colt apart and back together...without tools...before the other guy could get his pistol apart. Even the most vocal opponents realized that it was time to sit down and shut up.

Allow me to be blunt.

Of all the bells and whistles that have been hung on modern 1911 pistols, the FLGR ranks among the silliest and most useless. It doesn't do anything any better or even as well as the standard spring guide, which brings us back to the base question:

"What is it for?"

Page generated in 0.02784 seconds with 8 queries