View Single Post
Old January 28, 2012, 08:18 PM   #13
tahunua001

Quote:
I'm far from an expert because I don't hunt. However, if I had to hunt to survive then I'll keep the .22LR for rabbits... .223 Rem for coyotes... .243/308 for whitetails... etc. It's cruel, selfish, arrogant and ignorant to "underkill".
you would eat a coyote? man you are my new hero

Quote:
aaalaska... this thread has to do with caliber, not skill or aiming. That's a related but separate issue.
actually it is quite central to the discussion. for the better part of a century the go to round for deer hunting in this country was the 30-30, only recently have I heard people say it's marginal for the task and that it's a bad idea to use unless you absolutely have to. what changed? the deer didn't get bigger. they didn't learn to make and wear flak jackets. the only thing that has changed is it's no longer a matter of life and death if we miss that shot. if you dont bring an elk home and put it on the kitchen table you can always go to the super market and get a pound of hamburger. we have longer work weeks, shorter hunting seasons and fewer family vacations out in the woods so people are loosing a lot of the mentality behind hunting, they are more willing to take that iffy shot because it's not a huge deal if the game gets away. 30-30 is more capable of taking big game than ever with better factory loads and home loads and yet fewer and fewer people trust it to do the job it was intended for in the 19th century, it's a state of mind argument, pure and simple.

Last edited by tahunua001; January 28, 2012 at 08:27 PM.

Page generated in 0.02695 seconds with 8 queries