View Single Post
Old August 16, 2008, 03:40 AM   #33
#20fan

When I was 15yrs. old I witnessed my father shoot and kill a armed robber who was standing no more than 3ft. from where I was sitting.
My parents managed apartments back in the 60's. The rental office was the converted 3rd bedroom of the apt. we lived in. There was a door to the outside and an interior door to the hallway that led to our living quarters. My Mom had a habit of leaving the interior door open.
This was on a Sat. evening, my Mom was at the desk doing paper work as it was the 1st of the month and people were paying thier rents. I was sitting in a chair to the left side of the desk against the wall. From there I could see the office door and also down the hall. I imagine I was talking about some 15yr. old meaningless crap to her.
The office door opened and a guy walks in with a big silver gun in his hand pointing it at my Mom and then at me, back and forth demanding the money.
My Father who was in their bedroom heard what was going on. He got his Mod. 10 .38cal. and started down the hall. I could see Dad out of the corner of my eye and remember thinking that I could not look his way or I might tip off the BG. Just before my Dad reached the open door he said in a loud voice "Honey". This made the BG look and move his gun in that direction.
My Dad fired twice striking the BG in the chest. I was close enough to hear the BG groan, cuss and run out the door. He died about 50yds. down the street.
I don't know for sure that this incident caused it but my Dad turned to alcohol and my parents were divorced within a year. He killed himself some years later. You decide.
I don't know what kind of ammo my Father had in the gun, probably just lead round nose. The .38 was not an instant stopper but it did the job. It's also thr reason I carry a .45.

My own situation, I just fired that'a ways 'cause everyone else was!

Page generated in 0.03351 seconds with 8 queries