View Single Post
Old September 15, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
tobnpr

JMO....

I will never use anything other than a precision single piece base- and a down-angle one, at that. By precision, I don't necessarily mean a $100 Seekins...I mean not a $10 NC Star...

Eliminates alignment issues you can have with two piece bases. Not to say two piece bases can't work fine, I just see no reason for them since the advent of the rail mounts unless there's an issue with ejection where a rail is not practical. Ring placement is flexible, allowing in turn more flexibility in scope positioning.

I'm not a fan of the one piece mount/rings combos, but we do have a Warne RAMP on an AR and like it. If you go this route- don't go cheap. There's a LOT of precision machining required to get a combo like that precise. Again, NC Star isn't going to cut it...

Frankly, I've not understood the added value vs. cost for steel bases...maybe for a military application where the rifle might be abused, and the softness of the aluminum is a liability? Plenty of very accurate, long-range rifles with aluminum bases.

Yes- the long vs. short action DOES matter here- ring positioning, as I mentioned above.
With a long action, and two piece bases with rings, you cannot (obviously) shift the positions of the rings- and depending on your scope positioning, eye relief, etc.- you may not be able to get the scope where you want it due to the fixed rings, and the greater distance between them with the long action.

Page generated in 0.02519 seconds with 8 queries