View Single Post
Old June 23, 2013, 05:16 PM   #25
Todd1700

When people start laying back at longer distances on purpose just to see if they can still hit an animal at that distance I think you have stopped hunting and are just using the animals as live targets for your games. I've never heard anyone I'd consider a real hunter say, "We are too close, lets back off another 500 yards and see if we can still hit him from there."

I hunt whitetails in a place where they are pursued by gun hunters for about 2 1/2 months each year. The end result is that they are some of the most skittish, human shy whitetails in the country. But even here you would be hard pressed to spook one 900 yards away even if you were sitting in your truck honking the horn. So I find it hard to believe that anyone anywhere can't get a lot closer than that before they have to shoot. Lets face it, if you can't get closer than 900 yards....you suck at this.

I also do not believe that "ANYONE" can consistently place a clean kill shot on animals that far out. Too many variables under field conditions. At the range under pristine conditions it would be tough. In the field I think shots of that distance are unethical. You can bet that these long range shows only show you the hunts that turn out well. In fact I think The Outdoor Channel prohibits anyone from showing a hunt where the animal is not recovered. So you are never going to see the episode where they blow the antelopes front leg off from 800 yards away and never recover it. But you can bet your @** it happens.

Page generated in 0.03604 seconds with 8 queries