View Single Post
Old February 5, 2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Geoff7

Just thought I'd finish off this thread; I went to the range today. First, however, I stripped and cleaned my Glock 21 and Glock 17. Both were obviously factory lubed, but I was surprised to find the 21 seemed to kind of be "overflowing" with it, to the point where it was piled up at the base of the rails, etc. By comparison, the 17 seemed to have a normal amount of grease and there wasn't a lot for me to remove. I wiped away all the excess factory grease from the 21 and sparingly applied Hoppe's No 9 to the appropriate areas. This alone fixed most of the "difficult to rack" issue; I was amazed how much easier it was (I had tried it again just before cleaning and a couple of times after, each with the 13 round magazine full).

Went to the range and put a couple hundred rounds through the gun. I really enjoyed firing the 21; I think the gen 4 is even a better fit for my hand than the gen 3 due to the adjustable backstrap; after 200 rounds, my hands weren't even slightly fatigued and had I had the money and time, I could have put 500 rounds through it with no problem.

After I got home and cleaned the gun post-firing, I again loaded the 13 round magazine and racked it; smooth as silk and only slightly more difficult than when empty.

You guys were all spot on; it just needed some TLC and breaking in, and all is right with the universe. Thanks for the advice!

Page generated in 0.03406 seconds with 8 queries