View Single Post
Old February 21, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1
ZVP

Trajectory vs charges

After 2 1/2 years shooting Black Powder I am still confused with the preformance of the POI of the Ball and the relationship to how much powder was loaded!
This weekend I shot my '58 Remington SHeriff's model with 30, 35, 28, and 22 grains of Pyrodex. I was shooting at a7 yard target and untill I tried the 22 Gr load, things were making sense then I loaded the 22 gr load and it all fell apart!
The higher load flattened the POI and the sight picture, the 35gr powder load struck dead-on and the 30 and 28gr caused the ball to strike higher but the 22 gr load shot POI dead-on again!!!
Same Balls, filler and patch and both the 35 gr and the 22gr strike at the same place? Dead-on where it's aimed?
Granted 21 feet isn't much distance to have a trajectory but there was actually about a 2" rise to the Ball but at the lowest load, it went back to centered? HOW???
I was shooting over a rest to ensure the most accurate shot placement for the tests. I was suprised to have a 2" rise between the 35 Gr and the 28 Gr load because 3" would translate to a huge difference at 20 yards!
Did I maybe do something wrong?
I need to re-try this test again.
BTW there was no difference in centering of the ball on paper as all 4 combinations were centered.
Ideas?
ZVP

Page generated in 0.02635 seconds with 8 queries