View Single Post
Old October 8, 2010, 02:27 AM   #2
BillCA

Do a search on "point shooting" and "hip shooting". You'll find several threads on this topic.

As for me... I've been taught sighted shooting most of my life. However, I do sometimes practice the one-handed "point shooting" techniques when I have the ability to practice from a holster. Why? Because that's the most likely to save my life in a crunch.

If you carry concealed then the most likely thing is for someone to get close to you before getting hostile. If this happens, you won't necessarily have the time and distance needed to bring the gun to eye level. And in some cases, even if you did, you'd only be presenting your oppoent with a chance to grab -- or slap away -- your weapon. Drawing and firing from the old "FBI crouch" position or even what's called a "speed rock"¹ position is more in line with reality.

Reality says that any gunfight you're involved in will NOT be anything like what you trained for. It will be inelegant, chaotic, clumsy and imperfect. Your opponent will refuse to stand there like a B-27 silhoutte and may run, hide or attack. One example is the night you stop for bread & milk at the grocery and decide to buy your wife that expensive bottle of wine too. When you leave, your weakhand is encumbered and you don't want to drop that expensive bottle. That's when crap happens. Knowing how to shoot with one hand without using the sights may save your bacon (or wine).

¹ The Speed Rock technique is used in extreme CQB (bad breath distance). You draw the gun from the holster, rock your elbow down and hand up so the gun is level and fire from just above or above/forward of the holster. This keeps the gun retained from a grab while allowing you to fire.

Page generated in 0.02552 seconds with 8 queries