View Single Post
Old September 10, 2002, 07:31 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

PUT DOWN THAT STOCK, BACK AWAY FROM THE BANDSAW!!!

Seriously, most 60's 870s have pretty wood, so I suggest you let a pro do the job. It's not that complicated, but a practice run with a junker stock is definitely in order.

And if you mess up the junker stock, you can just spraypaint it flat black, and sell it at the next gun show as a "Tactical" stock.Some fool in cammies will buy it, trust me...

Also, you have no idea if the other 870 you have is stocked correctly for you.

So this will take some effort, but you may end up shooting much better, and with a better looking stock.

Beater 870s stocks aren't scarce nor expensive. Get one from a shop that has police inventory turnovers, and play with it.

Change the length by adding spacers. Change the drop by shimming between the stock and receiver as you test it out by shooting it. Try a temporary M/C cheekpiece with cardboard and tape, maybe. Change the pitch by adding shims between the pad and wood, even drill a hole to each side of the present lower pad hole and try some toe out.

Wiht a bit of effort you can end up with the best fit possible this side of H&H's Gun Room. Then, use the knowledge gained on the junker to do your good wood to match.

And, I've butchered a few stocks, but I now know that one needs a belt sander, bandsaw, masking tape, drill and so on. You may want the Brownell's catalog for further ideas.

HTH....

Page generated in 0.03654 seconds with 8 queries