View Single Post
Old September 28, 2009, 01:06 AM   #20
FrankenMauser

I forgot to mention it in my last post, and don't feel like editing:

It is 100% legal to take a Fawn in Wyoming, as long as your Doe tag reads "Doe/Fawn". (I have heard that some of the private property units don't allow taking of fawns; and read "Doe" only.)
Anything less than 1 year old is considered a fawn. It doesn't matter if the thing has 14" horns; as long as it's less than 1 year old.

The matter of nursing fawns is something to be addressed, too. By September, most fawns should be fully weaned. They should also be in the beginning stages of being pushed away by their mothers. Most fawns will run with the herd, as if nothing happened, if their mother is taken. There are exceptions, though.

Antelope #4 was a good example:
He was found standing over a gut pile, with another buck fawn in the distance. Some other hunters had taken the wet doe, and left the fawns. The close fawn was killed (the head shot), so the animal didn't starve; and we had a filled tag. The other fawn actually ran to within 25 feet of our party, and had to be driven away. We should have bagged and tagged it. The next day, it was found 15 feet from the gut pile, with its throat torn out. (They did not eat it, though. ...Just killed it... Coyotes suspected.)

Some times fawns must be taken, if a wet doe was accidentally shot. (Didn't know it was wet.)
Some times... we take the opportunistic shots for some extra-tender meat.
The average fawn should not be nursing by the time the hunt opens.

Page generated in 0.02854 seconds with 8 queries