View Single Post
Old February 11, 2012, 04:32 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Do you like venison? My father in law missed 6 times at 50 yards and less on 2 deer. I hit 1 at 120 yards 1 shot. Guess who had a rifled barrel. It makes a huge difference.
Maybe he was using a SINGLE bead sight gun, in which case it was probably a factor, but he should not have taken the shots. Otherwise the gun had nothing to do with it.
Went hunting with a guy a few years ago who had his 1100 police with a brand new cantilivered slug barrel and boxes upon boxes of slugs. By far the most expensive rig out that day. Scariest time I have ever spent hunting. The guy reloaded multiple times during the day during single events.

I have a 12ga barrel.

It is more accurate than the smooth bores.
It still isn't all that accurate.
I use hornady sabotted slugs. and have tried several others.
Shooting enough sabotted slugs to learn the gun well is going to cost a lot.
The recoil bothers me ALOT more when using a scope than when using rifle sights.

I decided my muzzle loader was a better weapon than any shotgun iteration I have tried EXCEPT when pushing deer. In that case they are usually relatively close and moving, so the rifled scope isn't much good. My ML was much easier to learn to shoot than the shotgun as the recoil is very tame.

Ballistics on a 20ga are a little bit different, although I am not sure that is true for all the sabotted rounds(no reason one of them couldn't be the same projectile in a 12 and 20 ga sabotted round). If I was building a dedicated shotgun hunting rig with scope I would def go 20 or higher ga.

I am willing to bet there is a significant difference between a savage slugster barrel and a 500 barrel. The Savage are designed with Hornady slugs in mind I believe.

I am planning to sell my 12 ga 500 rifled barrel with rifle sights and a receiver mount for the scope If you are interested. The receiver mount works as well as any other and requires no gunsmithing. I also have the option of dropping it off whenever I want and using the rifled sights. Would be a lot cheaper than buying a New or even used barrel and it can all ship to your door. If you want to try it, lots of times it doesn't matter what other people tell you. You got to try it before you learn. I did.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; February 14, 2012 at 09:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.03635 seconds with 8 queries