View Single Post
Old March 27, 2014, 06:05 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

my buddy has his own tempering oven... but was worried about the case hardening compound ( gives off corrosive gas when in process ) & he has an electric oven, doesn't want to damage the heating elements... but after re-reading the the compound instructions, he thinks if he builds a container to temper it in, & extends the container to the vent on his oven, he'll be fine, so right now that's where we are at...

he got a little worried about Turnbull's shop, when one of the local "know it all's" told him that he had guns out of Turnbull's shop, that had beautiful case colors, but the hardness had no depth... so after contacting Brownells tech department, & telling them what we were after, they recommended a shop out in Utah, & after talking to them, they could guaranty 7 to 10 .001's thickness of carbonized surface hardness... so if my buddy decides he doesn't want to do it himself, looks like the frame will go west, after the machining... at this point, we are mostly concerned with hardening the surface of the area where the arbor threads into the frame...

mocked up the 1st cartridge last night, using a 460 S&W case, & one of my 250 grain LRNFP bullets... looks pretty impressive... but in reality pressures & velocities won't be much over "normal" 45 Colt specifications

Page generated in 0.02023 seconds with 8 queries