Thread: vaminters
View Single Post
Old December 13, 2005, 10:22 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If there's a lot of moon, calling works pretty good in late afternoon/evening, and from first light through sunup. In the dark of the moon, I've found that around 10PM is good.

One thing is to not use too bright a light. Q-Beams are neat, but you hit a coyote in the face with one and he loses interest. I have a red lens-cover, and try to just use the edge of the light to pick up the reflection of Ol' Wiley's eyes.

They'll come to a call from wherever they are, but they'll circle and make the final approach from downwind. You have to look for a spot where they're pretty much forced to come in from crosswind, because of ravines or trees/brush.

Call sorta loud at first, and then soften. Don't call steadily for any great length of time. Two or three minutes; maybe five. Then give it a rest before trying again.

I've used several different mouth-calls; they all seem to work okay, but I've done best with an Olt.

The Burnham wounded rabbit tape works, also.

I see where they're making a deal now where you can set a receiver/speaker out from your stand, and play a tape on a deck/transmitter. Shoot a rabbit, set it and the speaker together, back off 50 to 100 feet, and have fun...

Art

Page generated in 0.03944 seconds with 8 queries