View Single Post
Old January 24, 2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

never seen this talked about... corrosion on old unfired bulk brass

last year I bought a 5 gallon bucket full of nickel Federal factory reject 338 win mag cases, with no primer flash holes... I had my machinist buddy go through & drill new flash holes... when I was going through them, I saw quite a few with small corrosion spots...

just this week, I bought a 5 qt ice cream bucket worth of unfired 45 Auto Rim... again, going through them, I saw quite a few with small corrosion spots as well...

I'm thinking this may have been because of mice crawling around on top of them, maybe some other reason, as the corrosion was mixed through out... if this is because of mice, do you guys think I'll have issues, once they've been cleaned up, because of the ammonia content in the mouse urine ( I expect that is the reason for the corrosion ) ???

I'll be shooting the 1st of the 338 cases this next summer... none had pits beyond ( or at least much beyond ) the nickel... but being a very high pressure round, caused me to at least think about it... the Auto Rim, being a lower pressure round may or may not be safer, since they were not coated in the protective nickel...

anyway... expirience or thoughts ???

Page generated in 0.02814 seconds with 8 queries