View Single Post
Old August 26, 2012, 02:56 AM   #28
Pond, James Pond

Thanks for the explanation. That's helped the penny drop: I understand more clearly now.

Quote:
It would be helpful if ....
Where I live I am limited in what I can afford and or get hold of. I say this as previously members have suggested changing this or that component, but for now I am stuck with what is below. Primers I can change to a degree, and powders too, but the latter are expensive, so if I change powders it will be when the existing lot is finished!!

All loaded with Lee press and dies and a Hornady digital scale.

Bullet:
H&N, copper-plated, high-speed, truncated cone, smooth sided (no cannelure), wax coated, .429", 200gr.

Case:
My S&B .44 mag cases that I got from buying factory loads.

Primer:
Either Remington or CCI Large Pistol Magnums, but have just bought some Fiocchi Large Pistol primers as that was all they had...

Powder:
Vihtavuori N350, 12.9gr (starting load)

As you can see from the first post, I forewent the taper crimp in the bullet seating die, using that only for the bullet OAL, but crimped instead with the Lee FCD. at .25 turn increments from no crimp to one full turn.

I've settled on 0.25 turn crimp as the increase in OAL is smallest between the first and fifth shot in a cylinder full, but even a full turn was not keeping the bullets still.

With this crimp bullet #6 in a clylinder should have stretched by .5mm by the time its turn down the barrel comes around.

Page generated in 0.02228 seconds with 8 queries