View Single Post
Old October 16, 2006, 03:33 PM   #1
threegun

Protecting innocent bystanders from your defensive fire

I was reading a post in another thread in which an exchange took place that surprised me and got me thinking at the same time. Below is the exchange.

Quote:
posted by Axion.........In my opinion the main reason why you should use hollow points is not increases effectiveness (yes that's nice) but decreased risk of over penetration and hitting a bystander. If one shot doesn't do the job you can always shoot more, but if one shot over penetrates and hits an innocent person you can never take that back.
This was followed by this

Quote:
posted by Stage2........Fair enough, though I don't know that over penetration is so much an issue with .45. Even if it is, if there is a situation where I need to/am justified in pulling my weapon and killing someone, I'm not going to be thinking about anything other than stopping the threat, and if justified there isn't a jury in the land thats going to convict me for any bystanders hit.
Initially I was shocked by the sheer dis concern Stage exhibited for his fellow innocent citizens then I asked myself, am I any better. If faced with a deadly threat about to kill me would I return fire despite the risk to bystanders? For me the answer is yes also. I would and do make every effort to reduce the threat as much as possible however I would shoot a direct deadly threat.

My question is would you shoot a direct threat to your life if a miss might injure or kill a bystander?

Page generated in 0.02575 seconds with 8 queries