View Single Post
Old July 12, 2010, 09:50 PM   #1
tarheellefty

reconditioning old leather holster

I bought a (much ) used holster for a " Browning High power " on e-bay couple yrs ago . I don't remember the exact cost , but the shipping was more than the holster ( note handle - it's LH. no one else bid ) . I didn't - don't have a BHP , but figured I might someday - I'd risk $6-8 . I got it and put it away and forgot about it . .....'til recently .

I'm going to a 1 day pistol school in August , and need a good holster ( had a thread on Semi-auto area while back ) . Someone posted that a 1911 could use same holster , so I dug it out and it fits- not great but it fits .

The holster is pretty old , the leather is pretty dry and rather stiff . I've read about new holsters being tight , and the suggestion is to put the gun in a heavy plastic bag then put it in the holster for couple days....Will that work as well (or at all) for this old dried out one ? More to the point , should I -can I treat the leather to " refresh " it? I like this holster design , and it feels decent wearing it . But it " grabs" the gun when drawing it , It's slow coming out even by my ( measure with a sundial ) standards .

So I guess my question in a nutshell is -does anyone have any advice for reconditioning an old holster ? Or should this just be for range use ( carry only , don't need the gun in a big hurry ....)

Thanks ....

Page generated in 0.02458 seconds with 8 queries