View Single Post
Old February 6, 2010, 08:05 PM   #4
LongRifles, Inc.

Chad's cardinal bedding rules:

1. Use a resin system with a long "open clamp time".
2. Resin's shrink. Use an even amount over the whole action to promote a uniform casting.
3. Mix resin on a glass plate with a spreader. NEVER stir in a cup. Whips air into it.
4. Warm the tubes in hot water prior to mixing.
5. Use a hot air gun/blow dryer to warm the resin in the stock so that air will rise to the surface. Pop with a tooth pick.
6. Mask everything off you don't want resin to stick to.
7. Use a commercial mold release agent.
8. Apply resin to stock and receiver.
9. Have everything ready before you mix the resin.
10. Rehearse your processes a few times before actually doing it and STICK TO ONE TYPE OF EPOXY so that you learn it's quirks!

Regarding pillars. The ones I make are different. They register the height of the action in the stock exactly on the show line. This qualifies the action to sit half in/half out. Better presentation that way.

I will only bed a stock that I inlet. I also offer this as a service to others. Reason being is if the trigger, ports, and mag well are already done how are you supposed to get a clean 1:1 look? You can't. The stuff runs and sags and is always oversize from what you really need.

I don't glue pillars in the stock first. They go on the action as the goop is applied to the receiver. You get better saturation this way to ensure there's no air trapped around the screw holes.

Good luck.

Chad

www.longriflesinc.com

Page generated in 0.01995 seconds with 8 queries