View Single Post
Old November 5, 2005, 11:24 AM   #1
gfen

CAS: Costumes? No, really...costumes? Names?! Do I have to?

Two questions WRT to SASS and CAS:

One, do I really have to play dressup? Just how serious do y'all take that, anyways? Is it an entire camp of people livin' the lifestyle ala a civil war reenactor band or the people gathered 'roudn the campfire at an SCA event, or is mostly ignored by all but a few?

I know it seems ridiculous and snotty of someone to ask that, and to seriously have his consideration of the entire game revolve around it, but I've spent a lifetime of mocking people who show up at scifi conventions as Vulcans, shout "huzzah" at renfairs, and dress up at night to play roleplaying games in basements with their friends as the lunatic fringe of hobbies I rather enjoy (actually, I refuse to goto renfairs because I won't even be associated with the folks who can't draw the line twixt fantasy and reality; oh, and coz they're ridiculous).

Yes, yes, I really can be that shallow. Its one thing to wear jeans and a work shirt, its quite another to don cowboy boots and a hat. And to actually talk the talk? Yow! Too far gone for me.

Heck, let's make it one question. We'll see if we get to another one, or if I get encouraged to stay home and let the cowboys have their fun.

Its weird, its a fine line with me. I actually don't have an issue with reenactors, but when it comes to the LARP kids I just get angry, with the renfair types close behind. Maybe it all stems from a childhood of AD&D and RPGs and knowing that despite the mockery of my "cool" friends and family, I really wasn't as bad as that kids who dressed as their characters. Let it also be known I find the appeal of CAS to be in the classy firearms of yester year, single action revolvers, lever actions, and side by sides. The kindness and friendly attitudes consistently come out in reading about CAS and the fact that in my mind (I havent gone to a match, yet) the pace of CAS is gonna be slower than some of the other competive sports.

I bet I'm wrong there, though.

Page generated in 0.02849 seconds with 8 queries