View Single Post
Old August 15, 2013, 09:03 PM   #14
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by [b]fishhead1:[/]

The brass in question had been sized, so it had sizing lube on it. Unless sizing lube is corrosive (which I doubt), I would think this could only help. Also,I have brass many years older than this (some from the 70's) stored in the same fashion. It will, of course, tarnish with age; but a few hours in the tumbler brings it back to near new appearance. This Starline brass, in my humble opinion, has apparently corroded (which brass is not supposed to do). Also. I have other Starline brass, in other calibers, stored in the same fashion, and none of it looks like this. I will, however, amend my storage practices accordingly. No biggy, but just wanted to throw it out for discussion.
Brass does corrode, especially brass with a higher content of Zinc....like cartridge brass. Naval brass and some other ornamental brasses have a lower percentage of zinc and thus are more corrosion resistant. Specific corrosion resistant brasses called DZR or DR brasses may also have tin added to made them less susceptible. Again, the corrosion you are seeing on your brass is from dezincification and can be caused by moisture or contamination. While the lube may not have been the source of the contamination, it could have reacted with the plastic used in the baggie and caused the spotting. PVC used in plumbing has been known to corrode brass fittings and fixtures when exposed to certain chemicals used by municipalities for water purification. If the spotting is only on the surface, you should be fine. Severe dezincification will cause brass to become brittle.

Page generated in 0.03739 seconds with 8 queries