Thread: Resizing issue
View Single Post
Old October 22, 2012, 01:31 PM   #19
Unclenick
Staff

Bart,

Yep, it's pretty obvious thing to do as a way to quick adjust. (You still have to verify, as Mr. Guffey says, but getting close is the idea with the rings.) I've made those graduated discs for timing barrel threads, as well.

I didn't stick the copyright notice on there because I thought the concept was original, but just to get anyone who wants to use that exact copy will seek permission first. I don't care about shooter's boards using them, but when a commercial operation asks to use one of my illustrations I require that they make a contribution to a veteran's or veteran's family support charity in return. For example, Arthur E. Brown did that earlier this year when they used an illustration of mine in their newsletter.

I like your idea of putting the marks onto lock rings directly. The circular ones would work out great for that, though the hex style is more problematic. An imprinting die would be the main investment.

You've given me another idea for how to do it. The round Forster and RCBS and Redding lock rings all use a standard knurled diamond pattern on their perimeters. Why not use a straight knurl with teeth spaced about 0.060". The closest standard straight knurl I see is a 1.5 mm pitch, or 0.059". That will give 73 teeth on the 1 3/8" diameter ring, which comes out to 0.000975" depth change per knurl; very close to 0.001". They won't even need to change their process to make them; just the knurl wheels. Then if someone knows how to take advantage, they can. If they don't, they don't.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.03699 seconds with 8 queries