View Single Post
Old September 27, 2009, 05:32 PM   #17
HiBC

No intent to criticize from me.I gave examples of my own mistakes.I have also been in on cleaning up a number of messes my hunting companions have created.
I do think sharing experience on wound channels has value.

I have just spent enough time around pronghorns and pronghorn hunting to make a number of observations,and my own mistakes.

What happens with antelope,they are easy to see from far away.Some folks race up with something with wheels on it,jump,and blaze away.Some people drive slow,open the door,lean on the fender,and blaze away.

I'm not saying you do that,I have observed plenty of it.
I watched a guy, (not my people)supposedly a great hunter ,from a family of great hunters, shoot 19 times at an antelope,and hit is 7 times,with a .270.I'll spare you the details.He was happy.He got him.

You all do things your way,whatever makes you happy.I observe somehow an antelope gets reduced to a shooting gallery target for long range equiptment and a block of ballistic gelatin.I know this because I own my own shadow.I get tempted.And,I have pulled my long range rifle out to put gut and leg shot animals out of their misery other people shot.I have done that at ranges way out there,but that is not hunting.

For myself,my own code,preference points,the money,etc does not mean I have to shoot something.Just because I see one,even a trophy,does not mean I have to shoot at it.Its not rifle and cartridge versus the antelope.Its me,my eyes,feet,knowledge of the terrain,and antelope.It is OK to make the stalk ,anticipate the shot,and the buck wins.He vanished.Try again.

Generally speaking,the effects of wind,etc have a more significant roll at longer ranges.Generally,if folks will hold off shooting till they are well inside 400,like 300 or 350,a good kill is far more certain.

Regardless of what happened in the past,this season,this hunt,if we do not shoot at moving antelope,and get the ranges within reason,the antelope will get the consideration they deserve.

Last edited by HiBC; September 27, 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Page generated in 0.03735 seconds with 8 queries