Thread: .243 Win on Elk
View Single Post
Old October 22, 2011, 07:49 AM   #16
quepasakimosabe

No you do not have to have 900gr API (armor piercing incendiary) to hunt any big game such as elk, bear, or moose. I think that there is a missconception going around as to what exactly will kill an animal. I think there guidlines out there as such as...http://www.hornady.com/hits/calculator...which will help the AVERAGE hunter make that ETHICAL decision. I recently went through a PME course for the USMC and one of the courses was "ethical decision making", as the name suggests it covered things like how to handle x situation and so forth. There were a myriad of answers and in my opinion were any wrong...NO, because your ethics are going to differ from mine based on so many variables that is impossible to factor. As long as the situation, in this case hunting, is handled within the laws. If you state says you must hunt with 243 cal or higher for elk, deer, bear, goose, ect. then I say as long as you obey the laws then ok. I have my personal opinions about what cartridge is applicabe to what but we all know that a 22lr to the eye of a bear that travels up into the brain will more than likely drop the bear. Bottom line, what is NEEDED and what is RECCOMENDED is up to preference as long as it falls within the goerning bodies (the state) laws. It is up to YOU the HUNTER to know what you and your weapon/cartridge are capable of. It is very easy to self educate via the internet reading as long as you read real articles concerning ballistics and not wikipedia and forums.

Not to say that all forums and wiki links are bad just make sure you get reputable sources.

congratulations on your kill.

Page generated in 0.02204 seconds with 8 queries