View Single Post
Old November 25, 2008, 02:20 AM   #27
Smoke Screen

When I was in 4th grade, I was sleeping over at a friends house for his birthday. Someone broke into the house and I woke up. The intruder came over to my friend and I and leaned over the couches where my friend and I were sleeping, no doubt to see if we were awake. I still remember trying not to breathe and thinking that my heart was beating so loud that the guy would hear it. Apparently, my friends mom was awake and heard him come in the house. She called the police and shouted downstairs that she had done so. The intruder flew out the house without a second thought and she came down, locked the doors and hugged us and cried. I will never, EVER forget feeling so helpless, unsafe, and violated. I vowed I would never feel that again.

HOWEVER, it does not mean you need act without reason. I remember coming home late at night one time from a boy scout camp out and my dad did not know I was returning. I went into the kitchen for a snack and he came out in his skivvies with a loaded pistol. But....before he turned the corner and fired he whispered real loud, "Son?" I whispered back, "Yeah, its me". He was pretty pis**ed I hadn't told him I was coming back, but this was before cell phones and the like. Point is, he acted with reason. But it sure woke me up to realize that a man (especially a law enforcement officer like my dad) will do what he can to protect his home and family. I was ALWAYS a bit more communicative and cautious with my pops after that incident. He used to tell me, "Don't do anything so stupid it could get you shot." Wise advice.

Page generated in 0.02277 seconds with 8 queries