View Single Post
Old July 5, 2010, 05:38 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLT
Actually NJ requirements and FOPA are the same. You have to take into account this phrase in FOPA:
"and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible"
No, they are not the same and I do not have to take into account the phrase you cite above. The point on which they differ is the closing part, about how to carry if the vehicle doesn't have a trunk.

FOPA:
Quote:
Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
NJ:
Quote:
G. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;
Words have meaning. "Or" means one or the other, not both. "And" means both. If I am driving an SUV and I have one handgun and some ammo, if the handgun (only) is in a locked container I am fully in compliance with the FOPA requirements. If the ammo (only) is in a locked container, I am fully in compliance with the FOPA requirements. But in neither case would I be in compliance with NJ's statement of the requirements.

Nonetheless, I would (and did) lock both, in separate containers, just to keep NJ happy.

Page generated in 0.02584 seconds with 8 queries