View Single Post
Old June 15, 2012, 09:29 AM   #20
snuffy

Quote:
How about this bullet:

Sierra GameKing 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 65 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail
Notice I mentioned the sierra 65 game king, but couldn't get any at that time;

Quote:
I wanted to test the Sierra 65 game king, they must only make that bullet once a year, couldn't get any. NOW I have some, I may get a chance to test them yet this summer.
I may test the game king, and re-test the berger, yet this summer.

Quote:
Try a 70 Grain barnes TSX in the 1-9 twist, with a hot load of varget. This round really penetrates and is very accurate, but you need a light crimp to make it all work. Try it, you will also read it won't shoot, my first hand knowledge says it will with a crimp and 2.260 COL. 1/2 MOA @ 100 yards.

good work on the testing, thanks.
You're welcome. I enjoy the experiments and it gives a basis for my own selection of which bullet I would use IF I hunted with my AR.
I'm surprised the 70 grain Barnes would stabilize in a 1-9 twist. It must NOT be a boat-tail, and the point must be more of a spitzer shape. The all-copper bullets are longer for their weight, length is also a concern for stability.

The performance of the 62 grain TSX boat-tail is just about perfect. I may re-test that one as well, with a second bullet-test-tube in back to catch the bullet, to see just how far it would penetrate. If you're at all concerned about lead fragments in the meat, then a copper solid bullet is what you want.

I'd be first in-line to buy a Hornady GMX in .223. My experiments with those in 300 WSM, the 165 had tremendous expansion and penetration. That was before the wax medium, shot into water-filled-milk-jugs.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02820 seconds with 8 queries