View Single Post
Old September 23, 1999, 07:32 AM   #7
Peter M. Eick

I would like to offer some experimental/antidocial test results between the two powders. I use both in my M1A SM and NM rifles with c-34 primers, federal 308 GM brass and 168 seirra BTHP. The difference between the SM and the NM M1A's is 1 in 10 vs 1 in 11 inch twist rifling (if memory serves). Both are douglas barrels. All testing is 20 rnd targets at 100 and 200 yards off a bench.

Now with that preface in mind, I have found that my Super Match does better with 39.5 grns of IMR-4895 while the National Match does better with 40.2 grns of IMR-4064. Those of you who will check this against the Seirra manual will see that these are very light loads, but the federal brass is heavier then most and I am using the c-34 primer which is magnum equivolent. (ejection and extraction are 100% reliable and consistent)

Checking my records, this is the result of over 150 test under various conditions and if I swap the loads, groups tend to open up about half to three quarters of an inch.

So what does this all have to do with 4064 and 4895 and the 30-06? My suggestion is get both, document your test procedure and start to experiment and work up your loads. Every gun is different, and the only way to find the "perfect" load is to test, document, consider and re-test.

I only wish I had kept as meticulous records 20 years ago as I do today.

PS: these are my "perfect" loads for a while, I am now starting to look at rebarreling both rifles next spring so I get to start the whole procedure all over.

Page generated in 0.02555 seconds with 8 queries