Thread: Point Shooting
View Single Post
Old December 15, 2007, 11:08 PM   #23
rbrgs

Several of the better IPSC shooters at our club have told me they point shoot the close targets, the modern technique doesn't always work even in competition. And IDPA? Sights? I don't need no stinking sights!
Seriously, the main thing that is needed to learn to point shoot is feedback; you have to see where your shot went. Dirt seems to work better for this than paper; easier to see a splash than a little hole, and previous hits don't distract you.
I once had to shoot a wild dog (the pack had been guarding a pig carcass on the route my 3rd grader took to the bus stop); I heard it coming before I saw it, I was waiting when it cleared the bushes 4' from me and a PPK. I looked at it's chest and watched the round hit almost before I could think. I also got a pig earlier this year with my H&K P7: walked up to it with a red light spotlight (this is in my garden--no I'm not poaching), the aimed shot at 10' didn't drop it, but I hit it 4 more times (1 handed) before it could get is s*** together enough to run, and then it only got about 50'. If I didn't know I could hit it, I wouldn't have had the nerve to walk up to a pig in the middle of the night. I'm glad point shooting is coming back; I sometimes feel like a voice in the wilderness.

Page generated in 0.02304 seconds with 8 queries