View Single Post
Old December 16, 2011, 09:53 AM   #31
twobit

Something not mentioned as a plus for open carry, it allows you to carry full size guns more easily vs. limiting yourself to compact guns that more readily lend themselves to concealment. It is easier to accurately shoot a full size handgun than it is a compact model so there is a valid issue with carrying a full size handgun.

I live in a rural setting in hot SW Texas. I am law enforcement (at the administration level). My work clothing is sometimes a uniform and sometimes civilian clothes. When I am working in civilian clothes I seldom wear a coat. I open carry, but also have on my belt the following items which help identify me as a LEO; handcuffs, radio, badge/ ID card. Since these things are spread out in different locations on my belt, one or more of these items are visible to someone from any angle. Very few people even notice that there is a Beretta 92FS in my holster in plain view. Most of the admin. level officers of all the various local agencies open carry in plain clothes with their ID displayed. The local citizens are used to seeing open carry by law enforcement. Most locals recognize us on site anyway.

Texas is not an open carry state for civilians. If it were, it probably would not cause alarm in the rural areas. I stay out of the big cities when possible. When I have to go there, I do wear a coat, unless I am in a marked police car. Oh, for the record; I have been in law enforcement for 25 years. Law abiding citizens legally carrying firearms on their persons does not bother me. We need all the help we can get from the good folks. As for the bad guys, well I've got strong opinions about that

I predict open carry will come to more and more states. Once it becomes the "norm" it will be a non issue. We no longer gawk at people with cell phone earpieces in their ear talking into thin air. We used to have to lock people up that went down the sidewalk alone having loud conversations with people who were not there.

Concealed carry has many pluses also. I think it might be nice if "concealed" was an individual choice instead of a legal mandate. I think open carry in Texas would be acceptable to all the rural Texans. Some (not all) of our big city people would throw a fit; well they need to be living in another state anyway. They just don't fit here.

Page generated in 0.02567 seconds with 8 queries