Thread: 410 usefulness
View Single Post
Old August 26, 2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Wyosmith

I am more a rifle man and handgunner than I am a shotgunner. I have a few shotguns and my all time favorite is my Winchester M-42 in 410. Now, I am told by my friends that "I shoot my shotguns all wrong" I shoot them like rifles. Too many years shooting rifles I guess, and I just don't get the thing of "point it - don't aim it"
I aim.
However I seldom miss a bird.

I believe a 410 is very useful. I have killed chucker, quail dove and pheasants with it. I might miss about one in 5 shots. It doesn't hammer a bird as well as my 12 gauge does, but so what? It kills them!

I eat what I shoot, and a 410 with #5 or #4 shot doesn't leave any pellets in the birds as a rule. They shoot through, so I don't have to pick around many at the dinner table.

If I hit a bird with 3-5 pellets it kills them and my 12 gauge hits them with 10.
They are not any more dead. With 10 holes in them.

So in my opinion the 410 is very useful. I recommend you buy a LEE Load-All with the gun so your son can get into loading his own shells. That's just part of the experience and he'll love doing it. That way he can afford to shoot more and the shooting is what's going to make him into a great wingshot.
Happy hunting to you both

Page generated in 0.02358 seconds with 8 queries