View Single Post
Old September 4, 2012, 10:18 AM   #8
Technosavant

A few things to keep in mind:

1) Some barrel makers tend to have more accurate barrels than others. I'm assuming that by DTI you mean Del-Ton, and they're definitely toward the budget end of the spectrum. Definitely serviceable, but not anywhere near the same league as you'd get with a Noveske barrel or LaRue Stealth upper. Sorry, but this is one of those areas where more money can mean a better product. The cheaper stuff may work just fine for you, but it is not truly just as good as the higher end components when you start getting demanding.

2) I wonder if you have a clear purpose in mind for the rifle. I'd advise to not throw together an AR based on what looks cool (be it optic, handguard, attachments, etc.), but figure out what you actually want to DO with the thing, then go from there. If it's a defensive rifle for shorter ranges then there's no point to the scope or the bipod; the faster target acquisition of a red dot is worth the trade off in accuracy and the bipod is just useless weight. If you want a longer range rifle that has more precision, then a scope is worthwhile, but that stock may not be the best option (the collapsible Magpuls, while good kit, can give some users issues trying to get a consistent cheek weld).

3) Chrome lined barrels do give up a little bit in accuracy to unchromed bores. The chroming process doesn't produce as regular a bore as one without. This is why you will usually see folks with national match type ARs using stainless steel barrels. Nitriding is also gaining some favor. However, for most shooters, the corrosion protection and cleaning benefits of a chromed bore is worth the slight loss in accuracy.

Page generated in 0.03116 seconds with 8 queries