View Single Post
Old December 28, 2011, 09:55 PM   #61
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDozier
After all the posts I am going to introduce a twist that maybe of a challenge to you because no one has mentioned black powder guns.
Lets say I am out with my black powder rifle and pistol practicing or hunting and a guy for some reason, lets say mental disorder, attacks me with an ax.
I kill him with my black powder rifle before he can get me. How does that differ from using hand-loads in a modern firearm?
In BP each load even if you use the same powder, cap, and bullet could be unique as I may load a bit different then you.
So what do you think when you look at this case under the current train of thoughts on this thread.
When I have a caveat, I start with it: I have never fired a black powder gun.

With that said, and based on my non-existent BP experience, I come to this conclusion: The risk posed by using handloads in self-defense becomes unavoidable if one uses BP to defend oneself. There are no exemplars to be had for comparison. Beyond that, I really need to let the BP problem percolate in my head for a while.

However, I will freely grant you that if you've got an axe-wielding maniac coming at you, you've got bigger fish to fry than worrying about the rules of evidence, and you need to use what you've got!

Page generated in 0.02748 seconds with 8 queries