View Single Post
Old May 24, 2010, 06:16 PM   #29
James R. Burke

Using a 30-06 with a Nosler 165 grain Partition, about 225 paced yards. I was on a little hill, and he ( 8-point 186 pound buck on the scales ) was all the way accross a swamp standing between some trees. I knew he had a big body but all I could see good was from the neck up. He was looking straight at me. I held on him waiting for him to just make a little move, but no go. I finally started to shake from holding the rifle up so long. I brought it down slow, and watched for a few minutes. He would not move. It was a free arm shot, because there not that far away most the time around here. I reload and shoot alot, so I brought it up again lined up on the base of the neck, and squeezed the trigger. He fell so fast I almost missed seeing him go down. Went almost right down his spine. I know that dont sound like much but for here that is a really long shot, the woods is really thick, I got lucky just seeing him. Most the time the shots are 50 yards or so, and fairly fast so there is no time to use a rest etc. No doubt I had some luck on my side.

Page generated in 0.03622 seconds with 8 queries