Thread: hey all
View Single Post
Old November 11, 2004, 11:44 AM   #5
claude783

Security at the house should be layered!

Your first line of defense should be a drive way/walk way alarm which lets you know that "someone" is moving around outside. I have one which cost $15.00 that uses PIP technology. My one problem is that the "cats" sometimes cause an alert.

The second thing I have is a camera, focused on the area which need watching. If the PIP goes off, I don't have to expose myself by going outside.
A closed circuit tv system will cost under a $100.00.

The info on the locks is right on! I have also seen "expensive" locks on "cheap" doors. Many doors today are nothing more than cardboard. You need "good" heavy doors. Also need a good "outside" security door.

Your entire focus should be on "not" letting the gremlin into the house. To know they are there and remove the element of surprise!

There is also a "security film" which can be put on windows, this makes it almost impossible to break the window!

A cell phone is a good item to keep by the bed. In the event that the gremlin has cut your phone lines!

If you do things right, layer the security, make your place "hardened", the Gremlins will go to the neighbors!

The UPS guy delivered a package yesterday. I was aware when he stepped on my drive, I confirmed "who" it was via the cctv, I also had to "unlock" the security door to "go outside" and sign for the package. Had this been a Gremlin, when the drive way alarm went off, he would have taken off. Had he contined towards the front door, he would have noticed the cctv. The side, back yard have a 6' security fence around them, with locked gates to the back yard. Also have a security camera and PIP covering the back yard.

You can also purchase a vcr with will record up to 1200 hours. This tucked into a "gun safe" with the cameras feeding into it, will allow you to check "who" has been by while you were out!

Inside, I keep a Rossi rifle in 357, stoked with 158 grain hollowpoints. The rifle is for the little lady. My personal is a Tarus 357 with the same loads. My son keeps a 12 ga. with #6 birdshot tucked back. We all have our areas of containment. Who is going to cover what if we hear a door being kicked in, or glass breaking!

I also work rotating shifts, which means that when I am home, sleeping during the day, I don't want "unexpected" problems. Waking up with some Gremlin holding a knife to your throat is not a fun way to spend the day!

Page generated in 0.05695 seconds with 8 queries