Thread: Home Defense ?
View Single Post
Old October 5, 2005, 11:33 AM   #8
joecski

RWK...
Quote:
If this is truly your objective, you may wish to consider a good, decent sized dog, which combines alarm, defense and intimidation functions.
I would agree with this whole heartedly. Nothing is as intimidating as a big dog growling like you are lunch. I lived in a two bedroom apartment with my wife and son, and still managed to keep a Rottweiller with us. Granted, it was a lot of work, and walking, but well worth the effort. I have no doubt that the dog stopped me from being a victim at least twice while walking the streets with her, and who knows how many times she kept my apartment from being burglarized when nobody was home. We had a crime spree where several of my neighbors were broken into to, one while a neighbor slept on her couch during the day. I finally moved from the area when the drive-by shootings started.

Now I live in the suburbs and my Rottie has long passed. I have a new dog, a half breed Pit Bull, protecting the property. Nobody gets near my house, like onto my dirveway or even walking by, without the dog looking out the window and giving a little bark to let the person see him. He is nowhere near as intimidating as the Rottie was, but he doesn't need to be. As long as he does his job as a watchdog, I'll take care of the rest! Besides, if I had a choice between robbing a house with the dog, or another house without one, guess where I would go....

Page generated in 0.02379 seconds with 8 queries