Thread: #1 Buck for HD
View Single Post
Old June 12, 2011, 08:01 PM   #63
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
And I wish we knew more about patterning for deer hunting BEFORE they named the damned stuff BUCKshot.
I know enuff about buckshot to want a tight pattern to hit my future supper in a vital region without any pellets opening up the guts to taint my venison. I also do not care for excessive meat damage. A 14" maximum pattern gives me plenty of pellets to the vital zone without ripping into the backstraps or guts as a 30" pattern surely would do.

Quote:
Sorry, didn't understand at first that for HD we no longer point a shotgun but need take careful aim with effectively a big bullet,
Anything less accurate on your part could leave your target able to fight on while your lead payload soars through a wall or window on to points unknown... I do "point" to an extent... But only so far as I am still center of mass as the "effectively a big bullet" will likely do all I need if I am off by an inch or 3 in any direction... this goes back to Lee's description of light in, blood out and disruption of important anatomical processes.

Quote:
and we don't slap the trigger with both eyes open but take a proper position, get a cheek weld, sight alignment, control our breath, squeeze the trigger like an eye-dropper, follow through...
I never "slap" a trigger... I squeeze mine.
I can be deadly accurate from many positions but only due to the fact that me and this gun have been together for a long time and we have, jointly, made many piles of hulls. But a shoulder mount and consistent, repeatable cheek weld are my most accurate.

Quote:
What were the idiots thinking before sensitive tactical cops couldn't shoot their way out of a paper bag, lawyers, and FliteControl* wads?
They were thinking that they ought to make do with what was available until advancements in technology made a better man stopper.
Even you can, in all your infinite wisdom, will agree that the old stuff was never called "manshot" and the new stuff will continue to be called "buckshot" due to pellet sizes used even though for long range deer hunting we choose a bit harder recoiling faster traveling payload.

Brent

Page generated in 0.02303 seconds with 8 queries