View Single Post
Old August 21, 2008, 09:08 AM   #22
mykeal

WC's post is perhaps the best written dialog for his point of view that I've seen. It should be posted in it's own thread instead of hiding away in this one - please give some thought to doing that.

That said, I'm afraid I must, in the end, come down on the other side of the issue. I no longer hunt due to physical disabilities, but I do own one inline rifle, in which I exclusively shoot 777 and sabot rounds. I also own seven sidelock percussion rifles and one flintlock rifle, in which I exclusively shoot real black powder and either patched round balls or mini balls.

I appreciate and fully support the traditional shooting sports in every way, but I cannot expand my love of the traditional to include a dislike of the inline disciplines. The primary, and perhaps only real reason is that we need all the help we can get in providing real, effective wild game management. That may seem like a big leap, so let me outline my thoughts.

We the human race have necessarily expanded our presence on the planet to the detriment of the wild animal population - notice I said necessarily. It's necessary for our own survival. We've virtually eliminated the natural predation of large game animals near the top of the food chain.

One of our traits is the innate intelligence to be able to mitigate the impact of that expansion (game management), and we therefore, in my opinion have an obligation to do so. The most effective tool that we have in managing our wildlife resources is the hunter. I think we are therefore required by our humanity to educate and preserve, in fact expand, the number of hunters in this country.

WC's argument that the implementation of the muzzleloding season as an exclusive privilege for the users of traditional weapons has been diminished by the proliferation of modern design inline guns is accurate and compelling. However, we don't have the luxury of limiting the hunting population for aesthetic reasons. Unfortunately, we need them. It's a sad fact that the hunting population is decreasing, and I'm afraid that someday we're going to lament policies that limit the use of some weapons for reasons other than humane game management.

Sir, your argument is well written. I wish I could be on your side; I'd be much happier about it. But at this point in time, I'm afraid my concern for the future of the hunting sports overrides my desire to be more traditional.

Page generated in 0.03354 seconds with 8 queries