View Single Post
Old January 4, 2012, 08:54 PM   #18
bedbugbilly

Obviously, LNIB and NIB means different things to different folks.

I'm not sticking up for the seller - but - was he the original purchaser? If not, he may not have known that they were originally furnished with an additional magazine.

As with any purchase on the internet - especially if something is used or even pre-owned and NIB - you should always go on the assumption of "buyer beware".

I personally think that a lot of factors figure in - is it being purchased as a "collector's item" - example - a Colt Python that is NIB or LNIB that will be a safe queen or is it a pistol that is going to be used and a shooter? If so, it's gooing to get wear when you use it and if it has a couple of "handling marks" and you didn't pay top price for it - you either live with it or send it back.

On any online auction or direct sale - if in doubt - contact the seller and ask questions - just what is included, are there any handling marks, has it been shot, etc.? Can you furnish me with a complete listing of what is included? I'd ask these questions even though it was advertised as NIB. Before purchasing, find out what the return policy is if it doesn't live up to your expectations. If not enough photos or views are shown, then ask for additional photos.

I personally have sold hundreds of items on online auctions and I make it a point to describe everything I can about the item - and, I have often furnished extra images to a potential buyer. I have also answered hundreds of questions about the items. I have also purchased a number of guns that were LNIB or NIB but were of a mfg. date of as long ago as twenty-five years ago. The seller was selling them as such but I also realize that they may have been handled - and some of them did have handling marks on them. The price was agreeable to me as well as the seller so there wasn't an issue - I was planning on putting even more handling marks on them as I used them.

I fully understand the OP's thinking and am not being flip about it. In the end, it's a 50/50 situation. Because we all think and interpret things differently, as a buyer, you need to ask questions and the seller needs to answer them - you don't "assume" anything. If the seller isn't willing to answer your questions and communicate - walk away.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63

Page generated in 0.03269 seconds with 8 queries