Thread: Favorite Game
View Single Post
Old October 24, 2001, 12:45 PM   #40
Long Path

Howdy, Collani! Welcome aboard!

My vote was for elk, even though I've never actually shot one. I've been up to southwestern Colorado to hunt them, twice, but never even knocked my safety off, and still had a wonderful time. If I can have THAT much fun without bagging one, imagine how much pleasure I'd get from actually bagging a big bull!

As I get older (I'm just now 30), I'm finding more and more that the terrain that I hunt in is as important as the game. Elk are hunted in the most beautiful places on Gods green earth. When I was a young boy, it was about success. I once hunted dove in Montague County, TX where we all limited out, fished successfully in a stock tank for catfish and black bass, caught frogs and turtles, and small game. As a 12 year old, this was the most successfull hunt I'd ever been on, and for years thought of it as my best hunt ever. But looking back on it, we were hunting over a flat (flat!) plowed-under field, in a rather borring area. The hunting was good, as was the comeraderie, but it didn't hold a candle to my empty-handed elk-hunts with my father.

A VERY CLOSE second was hunting mule deer in far west Texas. Again, it was the terrain. Didn't even see a buck (until I pulled out of Alpine and was on the highway!) to shoot, but had a great time!.
Heck, I'm easy!

--L.P.

Page generated in 0.02448 seconds with 8 queries