View Single Post
Old January 8, 2013, 11:29 AM   #237
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTrain
I've been thinking about those powers you keep bringing up. As it is, I still can't think of any federal powers that worry me. Local powers are another story and because we live locally, if you follow me, we tend to suffer more abuse of government power at the local level than anywhere else. Your land can be condemmed for any number of reasons, one of which is sometimes so someone can build their business there. No, it doesn't happen often but it has.
Why should the national government be able to prevent the farmer that lives 500 feet up the road from me from selling me "raw" milk?

I must say, it boggles my mind that someone could not find a single instance of what they personally consider abuse of national government power under current conditions.

The problems of government "local" versus "national", are largely a distinction without a difference. Local governments are no more to be trusted that national level governments. That's why we also have state level constitutions. Those battles should be fought there. Frankly, almost all of the current gun law court cases should be fought based on the state constitutions.

GCA68 and NFA34 should be fought on the national level. Chicago's gun laws are violations of the STATE constitution, not the national one:

Illinois Bill of Rights:
SECTION 22. RIGHT TO ARMS
Subject only to the police power, the right of the
individual citizen to keep and bear arms shall not be
infringed.

We could certainly argue the "police power" bit but there should be no reasonable argument that a complete and total ban, or anything which totally or nearly totally prohibits "bearing" of arms, constitutes infringement.

Page generated in 0.02658 seconds with 8 queries