View Single Post
Old September 15, 1999, 05:15 AM   #30
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Skorzeny,

"Lastly, I personally think that if one had to learn one martial art for civilian self-defense, the "best" one is Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Vale Tudo (the "anything goes" version of BJJ)."

"I agree that BJJ is not the be-all, end-all of martial arts and that it is not the "ultimate" martial art good for all situations, but I tend to believe that it is the most effective one-on-one, unarmed combat system that truly requires (and takes advantage of) superior skill than brute strength"

Skorzeny,

I have only seen BJJ in UFC videos and would agree with you on the second quote.

I've been in a lot of fights, unfortunately. My first truly serious fight was at fifteen when I was attacked by an adult. Choked him unconscious with a jujutsu choke.

However, most of the serious fights I have seen or participated in didn't have the luxury of one on one or unarmed. The caveat that it is the best one on one and unarmed is a very, very serious flaw.

When I am in situations where I think fighting may occur I bring armed friends. I bring weapons to brunch. Catching me alone and unarmed outside of the dojo is going to be quite a trick. I don't really care who defeats me in a dojo or with what as long as I learn something.

I've fought four opponents successfully on two occasions- real fights not dojo. I've fought eight successfully but that was a special case: they were unarmed, I had a three foot sawed off shovel handle and made a preemptive strike. I would have been stomped real good in those three fights with BJJ.

While I agree that BJJ is probably supreme in one on one with a disarmed opponent, I cannot agree with your suggestion that it is the best for the average person. Based on the fights I have been in and the fights I have seen, BJJ is a recipe for disaster for the fight on the street. Basically if someone takes my friend down with BJJ, I'm going to kick their head in.

Page generated in 0.06013 seconds with 8 queries