View Single Post
Old June 3, 2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

I met with my builder today ( he wanted the spare 357 Max barrel ) for measurements & to look at the threads... the barrels will be threaded to fit the Taurus at the frame & use the Dan Wesson threads at the muzzle end...

... we discussed the muzzle end barrel nut & he wants to build a "compensator" the goal is not really to control recoil since there won't be much, but to redirect the muzzle blast which could be more than expected from shooting a reasonably high pressure cartridge out of 6" barrel...

... he's had good luck with 10* ports radiused around the muzzle, & my other Dan Wesson barrel nut comps do a good job of redirecting the blast forward of the gun / shooter with the edges beveled at that same 10*... however I expressed concern about holes under the barrel blowing sand / dirt up off the bench or ground if shooting prone ( it is a varmint gun after all ... so we are lookin at making the nut the size of a barrel nut comp, or at least as big around as the end of the shroud, & putting the ports on the muzzle end around the barrel, where a crown would go on a bull barrel... a little futzing & we should have something that redirects the blast to a tolerable level for the shooter...

Page generated in 0.02604 seconds with 8 queries